Clifton Hill

Location: 17°43’33.94″N 64°46’30.28″W

Estate Clifton Hill produced cane sugar and rum from its initial settlement in the early 1750s to about 1900. An animal mill was in use to crush sugar cane by 1754 and was replaced a few years later by a windmill which in turn was replaced by a steam engine ordered in 1868. This engine was scrapped about 1900.

Axel Hoffman reopened Estate Clifton Hill as a rum distillery about 1915 with extensive modifications to the existing factory (originally built in 1808) and with a steam mill manufactured in the early 1880s by D. Stewart and Sons, Glasgow, Scotland.

Lime Kiln 20091108
Sugar Windmill 20091108
Horizontal Steam Mill picryl
Water Windmill Picryl

Scroll to Top